Storylines Notable Book Awards 2014
2014 Notable Book Awards List was announced on Saturday 29 March 2014.
"I'm delighted to have such an acknowledgement. It's been very interesting to see, over the years, how being on the Notable Books list has become such a coveted honour. Thank you, not just for my own presence on the list this year, but for the hard work Storylines does on behalf of writing for children." Barbara Else
"I want to say Many Thanks to you for those honours – and for all the other terrific services you provide to New Zealand kids’ books. Storylines is a gem in the New Zealand crest. Feel proud of all you do! I feel privileged to belong to you." David Hill
Since 2000 Storylines has produced a list of outstanding books for children and young people published in New Zealand by New Zealand authors and illustrators during the previous calendar year.
Books are categorised as: Picture Book, Junior Fiction, Young Adult and Non Fiction. Allowing up to ten in each category, the Storylines list is seen as complementary to the NZ Post Awards and the LIANZA Awards.
The decision to compile this annual list of Notable Books was based on a desire to ensure that children, parents/grandparents, teachers, librarians and the public were made aware of the range of high quality books being published, in addition to those (five in each category) receiving significant recognition through other awards.
Storylines Notable Books are books selected by an expert panel from the Storylines community and includes librarians, teachers, teacher educators and academics and authors, as worthy of being recognised as ‘Notable’ in each year. Several members of the panel have served as judges for the New Zealand Post Children’s Book Award (and under its previous sponsor) and the LIANZA Book Awards.
Until now there has not been a formal submission process from publishers and authors. The selection panel has met regularly with individual members bringing new titles to the attention of other members of the panel.
Storylines has decided to now formalise this process to help with the accurate identification of new titles and to build the profile of these important awards
Conditions of Entry
- Entries are open to books on first publication in print or as ebook's in New Zealand. The 2014 Awards are open to books published between 1 January 2013 and 31 December 2013.
- Principal authors (and principal illustrators of books with significant illustrated content – picture books and photographic non-fiction) must be New Zealand citizens by birth, naturalisation, or immigration, or be permanent residents.
- Reprints and re-issues of previously published works are not eligible.
- Entries of fiction and non-fiction must contain 48 pages or more; picture books must contain at least 24 pages.
- Books by individual or multiple authors, including anthologies, are eligible if they meet the criteria for submission. Anthologies must contain sufficient new work to meet the criteria for a book in its own right.
- Books published with the assistance of grants or subsidies are eligible.
- Books written in English and books written in Mâori are eligible.
- A book entered for the Awards must be a single, stand-alone entry. Series or boxed sets are not considered as single, stand-alone book entries, and are therefore not eligible, unless submitted as individual titles.
- Books published primarily for an educational market (e.g. textbooks, resource kits, literacy texts, reading schemes etc.) are not eligible.
- Books must be available for sale through recognised book trade outlets.
- The Storyline Notable Book judging panel reserves the right to invite submissions.
- For print books, two copies of the submitted title is required. For ebooks, six copies are required.
- The entry fee is $20 per title (including GST).
- No correspondence regarding the Awards will be entered into.
- Ebook entries will be accepted for ebook-only publications [no print edition exists]. Where both ebook and print book are available the print book should be submitted.
- Ebooks will not be in a separate category but will be judged alongside print editions of the same category.
- The ebook must have been originated as an ebook. An ebook created out of an earlier print book is not eligible.
- The closing date for entries is 30 November 2013.
Note. While the closing date for entries is 30 November 2013, we would like to receive entries as soon as they are published. If this is not possible please email details of titles that you will be submitting. Please try to avoid sending them at the last minute. Books published between 1 January and 30 June should be submitted by 31 July.
►Back to top.
Storylines Notable Books Lists:
►Back to top.
Storylines Notable Books List 2012, for books published in 2011.
Storylines Notable Books List 2011, for books published in 2010.
- Storylines Notable Books List 2010, for books published in 2009.
Storylines Notable Books List 2009, for books published in 2008.
- Storylines Notable Books List 2008, for books published in 2007.
Storylines Notable Books List 2007, for books published in 2006.
Storylines Notable Books List 2006, for books published in 2005.
Storylines Notable Books List 2005, for books published in 2004.
- Storylines Notable Books List 2004, for books published in 2003.
Storylines Notable Books List 2003, for books published in 2002.
- Storylines Notable Books List 2002, for books published in 2001.
Storylines Notable Books List 2001, for books published in 2000.
Storylines Notable Books List 2000, for books published in 1999.
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.