Author.illustrator Terry Fitzgibbon has been frequently described as ‘incredibly creative’ and has been that way since his rural upbringing in Canterbury. After graduating from Otago University he gained a Master’s degree, majoring in design theory.
Terry then embarked on display work for a Sydney advertising agency before tackling various tasks in the remote regions of Australia, Asia and Africa. Since his return home, he has been engaged across the entire spectrum of graphic design and communications for an impressive array of top-shelf clients.
Terry illustrations range from collage and realism to quirky, line-drawn cartoons – using either traditional or digital mediums. He has illustrated for other authors as well as his own books – two of them award-winning. His paintings and photographs have been successfully exhibited in galleries in New Plymouth, Auckland and Whangarei.
Terry now lives with his partner Carol on a bush-clad farm near Northland’s east coast. Those who know Terry enjoy his gentle spirit and zany humour as well as exploring the great outdoors with him. Terry thrives on creating that ‘wow’ quality in his writing, illustrations and designs for readers to share and enjoy.
- Estralita text by Grant Hindin (Hodder and Stoughton 1984)
- Count and Colour Our Wildlife: Somewhere in Aotearoa a Poem to Count and Colour for 3–9 Year Olds (Grafitz 1991)
- Creative Time: Over 500 Things to Make and Do for Pre-schoolers & School Age Children text by Jacque Piggott & Robyn Williams (Creative Mums 1997)
- Who’s Wild and Free? (Puffin 1999)
- Baby’s World (Penguin 2000)
- Who’s Wild and Wacky? (Puffin 2001)
- Baby’s World of Nature (Penguin 2002)
- No Big Deal text by David Hill [Kiwi Bite] (Puffin 2003)
- Baby’s World of Shapes (Penguin 2010)
- Birthday Skates text by Debbie Gonzales (Gilt Edge 2010)
- Jean Dreams of Flying by Dreydon Sobanja (Inspired Kids 2013)
- Trust by Paul Mason (Scholastic 2015)
- Sneaky Snake by Jill Eggleton (Global Ed. 2015)
- Monkeys Can’t Fly / Take Care at the Fair / Safe from the Storm by Jill Eggleton (Global Ed., 2015)
- Fearless Fred and the Storm text by Maureen Sudlow (Kiwis Soar Pub. 2016)
- Gentle Giant by Annemarie Florian, illustrated by Terry Fitzgibbon (New Holland 2018)
- Karearea: Fearless Falcon by Annemarie Florian, illustrated by Terry Fitzgibbon (New Holland 2018)
- The Sea Dreamer written and illustrated by Terry Fitzgibbon (New Holland, 2018)
- On the Brink by Maria Gill illustrated by Terry Fitzgibbon (New Holland 2019)
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2000 Non-fiction List for Who’s Wild and Free.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2004 for No Big Deal.