Joanna Orwin has a research background in plant ecology and 30 years’ experience as a science editor, mostly for the New Zealand Forest Research Institute (Landcare Research since 1992).
Joanna’s publishing record includes scientific papers, feature articles, non-fiction history texts, and historical and adventure novels for children and young adults. Since 1998 she has focused on her creative writing career and work on interpretation projects as a consultant researcher, writer, and editor.
- Ihaka and the Summer Wandering, illustrated by Robyn Kahukiwa (Oxford University Press 1982).
- Ihaka and the Prophecy, illustrated by Robyn Kahukiwa (Oxford University Press 1984).
- The Guardian of the Land (Oxford University Press 1985).
- Watcher in the Forest (Oxford University Press 1987).
- The Tar Dragon, illustrated by Wendy Hodder (Scholastic 1997).
- Owl (Longacre Press 2001).
- Out of Tune (Longacre Press 2004).
- Kauri in My Blood: The Diary of Laura Ann Findlay, the Coromandel, 1921–24 [My Story series] (Scholastic 2007).
- Sacrifice (HarperCollins 2011).
University of Otago College of Education Children’s Writer in Residence 2009.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2002 Young Adult Fiction List for Owl.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2012 Young Adult Fiction List for Sacrifice.
New Zealand Post Children's Book Awards 2012 Young Adult Fiction Finalist for Sacrifice.
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.