Bruce Potter is an international award-winning illustrator of more than 125 books. He has illustrated for some of New Zealand’s best known authors including Craig Smith, Joy Cowley and Witi Ihimaera. He is a director at Draconis Books, having published three picture books (including one written by Joy Cowley), two adult colouring books and a novel. He is also a director at Waiata Theatre Productions which produced The Mikado this year. Bruce was the director, musical director and producer of this show as well as performing as Nanki Poo and The Mikado.
Bruce gained second place in The World's Best Illustration at the 2007 Gourmande World Cookbook Awards for Papa's Donuts.
Storylines' Out of the Deep anthology, illustrated by Bruce, was selected for the White Ravens Book List 2008.
Bruce is known for his realistic style and fine detail but he also has a background in cartooning and caricature for a number of newspapers around the world. He has worked for many years as an art teacher in adult education and as a fine artist. He mainly exhibits through the Wanaka Fine Art Gallery. He has also played leading roles in musicals such as Les Misérables, Chess and Jesus Christ Superstar, most notably in Les Miserables where he has played the role of Valjean three times doing 56 performances.
Bruce was also an internationally ranked powerlifter, winning the bronze medal at the 2009 World Masters Bench Press Champs. He is a former New Zealand Bench Press Champion and holds the world record in the two-man deadlift with the International All Round Weightlifting Association. He is a Third Dan Black Belt in karate. He currently runs a Shotokan Karate Dojo in Alexandra where he lives very happily with his wife and three adult children. Bruce tours schools around New Zealand doing his one-man show which encourages children to foster and develop their own imaginations through the art of doodling. He has performed this show more than 600 times to over 300 schools. For more information see www.brucepotter.co.nz
- No Half Measures text by Judy Knox (Reed 2002).
- Caesar the Anzac Dog text by Patricia Stroud (HarperCollins 2003).
- Matariki text by Melanie Drewery (Reed 2003).
- The Treasure text by Melanie Drewery (Reed 2003).
- Pounamu's Stones text by Dot Meharry (Reed 2004).
- Child of Aotearoa text by Melanie Drewery (Reed 2004).
- The Donkey Man by Glyn Harper (Reed 2004).
- Grandad's Medals text by Tracy Duncan (Reed 2005).
- Have You Ever Seen a Kiwi? text by Ian Watt (Reed 2005).
- The Whale rider (illustrated edition) text by Witi Ihimaera (Reed 2005).
- Soldier in the Yellow Socks: Charles Upham: Our Finest Fighting Soldier text by Janice Marriott (HarperCollins 2006).
- Papa's Donuts text by Kate Moetaua (Reed 2006).
- Grandad text by Janet Pereira (Reed 2006).
- The Beachmaster text by Carmel Liddell (Reed 2006).
- The Talking Stick text by Dot Meharry (Reed 2006).
- The Pipi Swing text by Sarona Aiono-Iosefa (Reed 2007).
- My Grandfather's War text by Glyn Harper (Reed 2007).
- Out of the Deep and Other Stories from New Zealand and the Pacific edited by Tessa Duder and Lorraine Orman (Reed 2007).
- The Dawn text by Mike Davey (Reed 2007).
- Bo text by Anna Kenna (Reed 2007).
- The Puppet Box text by Moira Wairama (Scholastic 2007).
- The Stuck There Forever Boat text by Gillian Torckler (Puffin 2008).
- Te Rauparaha: Legend of Aotearoa text by Maureen Cavanagh (Puffin 2008).
- Battle at the Gate text by Jenny Jenkins (Penguin 2008).
- Papa's Jandals text by Kate Moetana (Puffin 2010).
- Legends of the Cook Islands text by Shona Hopkins (Penguin 2010).
- The Cloak of Stars text by Judith Raymond-Penney (Puffin 2010).
- The Taniwha of Wellington Harbour text by Moira Wairama (Puffin 2011).
- New Zealand Hall of Fame: 50 Remarkable Kiwis text by Maria Gill (New Zealand 2011).
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2004 Picture Books List for Matariki.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2006 Picture Books List for The Whale Rider.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2007 Non-fiction List for Soldier in the Yellow Socks.
Gourmande World Cookbook Awards 2007 2nd place in The World's Best Illustration for Papa's Donuts.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2008 Picture Books List for The Puppet Box.
White Ravens 2008 List for Out of the Deep.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2012 Non-fiction List for The Taniwha of Wellington Harbour.
Storylines Notable Book Awards 2012 Non-fiction List for New Zealand Hall of Fame.
New Zealand Post Children's Book Award 2012 Non-fiction Finalist for New Zealand Hall of Fame.
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.