Kingi McKinnon (1943–2006) wrote fiction for children and young adults. Born and raised in Auckland, Kingi worked as a truck driver, railway worker, freezing worker and glazier, and spent some years in the New Zealand Army before becoming a freelance journalist and author.
- The Friday Frights illustrated by Phillip Paea (HarperCollins 1995).
- Whitebait Fritters illustrated by Kelvin Hawley (Ashton Scholastic 1995).
- When the Kehua Calls (Scholastic 2002).
- Tales from the Swamp (Scholastic 2006).
- AIM Children’s Book Awards 1996 Junior Fiction Shortlist for Whitebait Fritters.
- New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2003 Junior Fiction Shortlist for When the Kehua Calls.