Heather McQuillan (b 1960) is a writer of novels for young people, short fiction and poetry, a teacher of creative writing and former primary school teacher. She has worked in schools and in theatre education for over 35 years and is now director at Write On School for Young Writers in Christchurch, New Zealand. She earned a Master of Creative Writing with distinction from Massey University in 2018.
In between writing for young people and teaching, Heather writes flash fiction and poetry. In 2016 she won both the New Zealand National Flash Fiction Day Competition and the New Zealand National Flash Fiction Micro Madness Competition. She won the Meniscus/ Australian Copyright Agency Best Prose Prize 2018. Her work has appeared in a number of international anthologies including Best Small Fictions 2017 and 2019 and Best Microfiction 2019.
- Where Oceans Meet and other stories ( Reflex Press UK, 2019)
- Avis and the Promise of Dragons ( The Cuba Press, 2019)
- Rubies in the Dust - Voices from Afghanistan ( Habibyar Press, 2015)
- Nest of Lies (Scholastic 2011)
- Mind over Matter (Scholastic 2006).
- Storylines Tom Fitzgibbon Award 2005.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2007 Junior Fiction List for Mind Over Matter.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2012 Junior Fiction List for Nest of Lies.
- NZSA mentorship 2016
- Shortlisted Storylines Tess Duder Award, 2018
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.