Paula Green is a poet, children’s author, anthologist, blogger, reviewer and book-award judge. She lives in Bethells Valley, West Auckland, with her partner, artist Michael Hight. She is the author of 12 poetry collections, including four for children. She has taught creative writing at all levels, and runs two blogs, NZ Poetry Box
and NZ Poetry Shelf
She has edited the anthologies Dear Heart: 150 New Zealand Love Poems
and A Treasury of New Zealand Poetry for Children,
and with Harry Ricketts co-authored 99 Ways into New Zealand Poetry
which was shortlisted for the New Zealand Book Awards (2011). She edited the 2007 edition of Best New Zealand Poems
and judged the Secondary School Poetry Competition in 2008.
Paula has been a regular contributor to Storylines Festivals and Story Tours as well as other New Zealand literary festivals. She performs and undertakes workshops, poetry performances and poetry discussions in schools from Year 0-13 throughout New Zealand.
She has had a parallel literary career as a children’s author since 2006 and has published six books for children including the award-winning Letterbox Cat and Other Poems
. Her first children's book, Flamingo Bendalingo: Poems from the Zoo
, was published by Auckland University Press in 2006. The collection is written by Paula but includes poems by 50 children, with illustrations by Michael Hight.
The Letterbox Cat
(Scholastic) with illustrations by Myles Lawford was shortlisted for the LIANZA Children's Book Awards and won the Children's Choice Non-Fiction Award at the 2015 NZ Book Awards for Children and Young adults.
A Treasury of NZ Poems for Children
(Random House) was edited by Paula and illustrated by Jenny Cooper. This collection includes the poetry of beloved children’s authors such as Joy Cowley, Margaret Mahy, Peter Bland, David Hill and Kyle Mewburn, poets such as Hone Tuwhare, Janet Frame and Jenny Bornholdt, new voices and poems written by 50 New Zealand children.
In 2019 Paula has three new books out: Groovy Fish and Other Poems (The Cuba Press, children’s poems); The Track (Seraph Press, adult poems); Wild Honey: Reading NZ Women’s Poetry (Massey University Press).
- Wild Honey: Reading NZ Women’s Poetry(Massey University Press, 2019)
- The Trackpoems (Seraph Press, 2019)
- Groovy Fish and Other Poems, illustrated by Paula Green (The Cuba Press, 2019)
- A New York Pocket Book, poems (Seraph Press, 2016)
- The Letter Box Cat and Other Poems, illustrated by Myles Lawford (Scholastic, 2014)
- A Treasury of NZ Poetry for Children, illustrated by Jenny Cooper (Random House, 2014)
- The Baker’s Thumbprint, poems (Seraph Press, 2013)
- Dear Heart: 150 NZ Love Poems, Paula Green ed (Random House, 2012)
- 99 Ways into NZ Poetry, co-authored with Harry Ricketts (Random House, 2010)
- Aunt Concertina and Her Niece Evalina, illustrated by Michael Hight (Random House 2009)
- Macaroni Moon, illustrated by Sarah Laing (Random House 2009)
- The Terrible Night, illustrated by Chris Grosz (Random House 2008)
- Making Lists for Frances Hodgkinspoems (Auckland University Press, 2007)
- Flamingo Bendalingo: Poems from the Zoo, with 50 New Zealand school children, illustrated by Michael Hight (Auckland University Press 2006)
MNZM for Services to Poetry and Literature in New Year's Honours list 2017
Prime Minister’s Award for Poetry 2017
Finalist in LIANZA Awards 2015 for The Letter Box Cat and Other Poems
Children’s Choice Award, New Zealand Book Awards 2015 for The Letter Box Cat and Other Poems
University of Auckland Literary Fellowship 2005.
Storylines Notable Book Awards for: Flamingo Bendalingo (2007), Aunt Concertina and Her Niece Evalina, A Treasury of NZ Poetry for Children (2015), and The Letter Box Cat and Other Poems (2016)