Janet is an author, designer and photographer. She was born in 1951 and attended primary and secondary school in Inglewood, Taranaki. She has a BA (Hons) in English from Massey University (1973) and and an MA (Hons) from the University of Auckland (1996). She has worked in a number of fields, among them primary, secondary and tertiary teaching, journalism and graphic design.
- How to mend a Kea: + other fabulous fix-it tales from Wildbase Hospital (Massey University Press, 2017)
- Our Big Blue Backyard: New Zealand’s Oceans and Marine Reserves (Random House, 2014)
- E3 Call Home, , a true story of godwit migration and misadventure (Random House 2009).
- Wetlands of New Zealand: A Bitter-sweet Story (Random House, 2007)
- From Weta to Kauri: A Guide to the New Zealand Forest, photos by Rob Lucas (Random House 2004)
- A Bird in the Hand: Keeping New Zealand Wildlife Safe (Random House 2003)
- Hone Tuwhare: A Biography (Godwit 1998).
New Zealand Post Children's Book Awards 2010 Non-fiction Winner for E3 Call Home
New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2005 Non-fiction shortlist for From Weta to Kauri.
New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2004 Non-fiction Winner for A Bird in the Hand
New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2004 Best First Book for A Bird in the Hand
New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2004 Book of the Year for A Bird in the Hand.