A former children’s librarian, Bill Nagelkerke has written short stories, poems, plays and books for all ages, as well as translating other people’s books from Dutch into English. In 2013 he was awarded the Storylines Margaret Mahy Medal for a distinguished contribution to New Zealand children’s literature and literacy.
Dream Boat illustrated by Connie Marshall (Shortland Publications 1997).
Going Bananas illustrated by Ant Sang [Kiwi Bites] (Puffin 2003).
A Good Idea [Ready to Read series] (Learning Media 2005).
Egg Head (Oxford University Press 2006).
The Paint Job (Oxford University Press 2006).
Old Bones (Scholastic 2006).
Sitting on the Fence: The Diary of Martin Daly, Christchurch, 1981 [My Story series] (Scholastic 2007).
Hot Money [Nitty Gritty series] (Pearson 2009).
Hippo Ears and the Stargazer [Nitty Gritty series] illustrated by Jane Cameron (Pearson 2011).
The Field (e-book ACHUKABooks 2012).
Demons (e-book ACHUKABooks 2012)
The tattooed sisters, and other stories (Self-published 2016. Many stories previously published in magazines and anthologies.)
The Houdini effect (Self-published 2016. Originally contracted to ACHUKABooks.)
Egghead, and other surprises (Self-published 2016. Many stories and poems previously published in the New Zealand School Journal)
Emily's penny dreadful (Self-published 2016. Originally contracted to Walker Books.)
Cauliflower ears (Self-published 2016. Originally serialised on the website of Christchurch City Libraries.)
Emily, the Dreadfuls and the Dead Skin Gang (Self-published 2017)
Easy Peasy [Ready to Read series] (Ministry of Education 2018).
The night the moon fell down, and other poems (Self-published 2019. Many poems previously published in magazines and anthologies.)
The ghosts on the hill (Cuba Press 2020)
Contributions in these selected anthologies:
- The Hutchinson Treasury of Children's Poetry (Hutchinson UK 1997).
- Kids' Night In (Penguin 2003).
- Claws & Jaws (Random House 2004).
- Down to the Sea Again (HarperCollins 2005).
- Mischief & Mayhem (Random House 2005).
- Like Wallpaper (Random House 2005).
- Pick 'n’ Mix: Assorted Kiwi Stories, Vol. 1 (Scholastic 2010).
- Read Me Another One, Please! (Whitcoulls 2012).
- A treasury of New Zealand poems for children (Randon House 2015)
- Es war einmal: Grim(m) fairy tales from Aotearoa/New Zealand (Goethe Institut 2015)
- Who's Driving by Leo Timmers (Gecko Press 2006).
- I am the King by Leo Timmers (Gecko Press 2006).
- Sheep with Boots by Martigen Matter, illustrated by Jan Jutte (Gecko Press 2009).
- Eep! by Joke van Leeuwen (Gecko Press 2010).
- The Magical Life of Mr Renny by Leo Trimmers (Gecko Press 2012).
- The Day My Father Became a Bush by Joke Van Leeuwan (Gecko Press 2013).
- Wolf and Dog by Sylvia Vanden Heede (Gecko Press 2013).
- The day no one was angry by Toon Tellegen (Gecko Press 2014)
- Timeline by Peter Goes (Gecko Press 2015)
- Dog knows everything and Wolf knows nothing by Sylvia Vanden Heede (Gecko Press 2016)
- Rivers by Peter Goes (Gecko Press, 2018)
- My Mama by Annemarie van Haeringen (Gecko Press 2020)
- Timeline: science and technology by Peter Goes (Gecko Press 2020)
- What Ollie saw by Joukje Akveld (Levine Querido 2021)