Book launch & Panel Discussion.
Storylines Children’s Literature Trust of New Zealand presents a preview event before the Booksellers New Zealand conference, to be held at Rydges Hotel, Auckland, Friday 24 August 2018, 6pm start. The event programme features:
- The launch of Children’s Literature in a Multiliterate World edited by Nicola Daly and Dr. Libby Limbrick with consulting editor Pam Dix. This volume consists of 12 chapters based on papers presented at the 2016 IBBY congress held in Auckland, with perspectives from Australia, Belgium, Great Britain, Japan, Samoa, New Zealand, South Africa, and the USA on the use of children's literature to encourage international understanding.
- Margaret Mahy coming home: Publisher Alison Shucksmith from Hachette New Zealand talks about the challenges in and opportunities for keeping Margaret Mahy books in the hands of kids around New Zealand and introducing a new generation to the magic and wonder of Margaret’s writing.
- Children Know Best! A lively and provocative panel discussion, chaired by Christine Dale, publisher and chair of Storylines' management committee, on what young people want to read, with those who write, publish, sell, promote and crucially read the books published for young readers. Taking part are:
- Elijah Flynn, age 13 (customer advisor at Timeout bookshop )
- Melinda Szymanik (award-winning author)
- Mary Wadsworth (Dorothy Butler Bookshop, specialist children’s bookseller)
- Wayne Mills (international quizmaster and walking encyclopaedia on children’s books)
Refreshments will be served. Free entry for Storylines members and those attending the Booksellers NZ conference. All others $20.
Registration is essential, for catering purposes, and as seating is limited.
Register your attendance now, with names and numbers attending.Registrations close Thursday 16th August.