John Parker has written about 130 books for children, ranging from picture books to teenage fiction, as well as about 200 plays, poems, articles, or stories for publications and outlets like the School Journal, Radio New Zealand, and BBC School Radio. He has also penned around 400 articles for over 30 newspapers and magazines in New Zealand and overseas, many of them on tramping, skiing or golf.
John has clocked up some 200 visits to schools and colleges as a speaker and presenter, and regularly takes part in New Zealand Book Council tours and in Storylines events.
His four-volume history of New Zealand, Frontier of Dreams – the Story of New Zealand, was a finalist in the New Zealand Post Book Awards, short-listed for the Elsie Locke Award, and a winner for the Spectrum Print Design Award.
- I Love Spiders illustrated by Rita Parkinson (Scholastic NZ 1987).
- Amanda the Amazing Merino illustrated by Jeffrey Parker (Waiatarua Publishing 1990).
- Old Toby (Scholastic NZ 1991).
- Dragon Spell illustrated by Errol McLeary (Scholastic NZ 1993, revised and reissued 2004).
- TT's Terrible Tuesday illustrated by Jeffrey Parker (Scholastic NZ 1993, revised and reissued 2005).
- Professor Ponsonby, McIntosh, and the Wool Bug illustrated by Philip Webb (HarperCollins 1993).
- Not Nice Stories (Scholastic NZ 1994).
- Pavlova & Presents illustrated by Linda McClelland (Scholastic NZ 1996).
- Storm Tide (Reed Education 2001).
- Piddles illustrated by Trevor Pye [Kiwi Bites series] (Penguin 2004).
- Frontier of Dreams – the Story of New Zealand: A Land Discovered (Scholastic 2005).
- Frontier of Dreams – the Story of New Zealand: From Treaty to Nationhood (Scholastic 2005).
- Frontier of Dreams – the Story of New Zealand: The Weight of World Wars (Scholastic 2005).
- Frontier of Dreams – the Story of New Zealand: Into the 21st Century (Scholastic 2005).
- What Is on Top? photographs by Glenn Jowitt (Scholastic 2006).
- Poppa McPhee Gets the Eggs illustrated by Trevor Allan (Scholastic 2006)
- What a Wreck illustrated by Karactaz (Gilt Edge 2006).
- Sucked In (Walker Books Aus 2008).
- Only Fifty Bucks (Gilt Edge 2008).
- Sucked Out (Walker Books Aus 2010).
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.