Author and illustrator Kat Quin Merewether was born in the Waikato in 1982. Growing up with a passion (obsession) for art and drawing, at primary school she would often be in trouble for spending far too long on her drawings instead of practising her handwriting. She focused on art and design at high school, becoming a finalist for the Young Designer Awards at the age of 14.
In 2002 she set up award-winning graphic design and commercial illustration studio, Design on Q, as well as a boutique educational resource publishing company Illustrated Publishing. Kat has been illustrating commercially for more than 14 years and has illustrated 17 children’s picture books, for both New Zealand and international authors and publishers. She has a passion for te reo Māori and many of the books she has illustrated and designed focus on Māori language, history and mythology.
Kat's Kuwi the Kiwi series has been very well received. Kuwi's First Egg appeared on the Booksellers Nielsen 2015 Overall Top Ten Bestsellers List. The second title in the series, Kuwi's Huhu Hunt, was a finalist in the New Zealand Children's Book Awards for 2016 Children's Choice Award with the translated version of Kuwi's First Egg – Te Hua Tuatahi a Kuwi, a finalist in two catagories.
Kat lives in rural Waikato with her husband and three gorgeous daughters. They critique all her work and offer a form of brutal, honest quality assurance.
- One day a Taniwha written by Aunty Bea (Piatarihi Tui Yates) (Aunty Bea Publications 2009)
- Hoha te Taniwha written by Aunty Bea (Piatarihi Tui Yates) (Aunty Bea Publications 2010)
- The Boy Who Could See Only Purple written by Claire Ashmore (Traffords Publishing 2011)
- Waiata Mai written by Aunty Bea (Piatarihi Tui Yates) (Aunty Bea Publications 2011)
- Ihenga written by Aunty Bea (Piatarihi Tui Yates) (Aunty Bea Publications 2011)
- Hinemoa raua ko Tutanekai written by Aunty Bea (Piatarihi Tui Yates) (Aunty Bea Publications 2012)
- Fearless Fred and the Dragon written by Maureen Sudlow (Kiwis Soar 2012)
- Kuwi's First Egg (Illustrated Publishing 2014)
- Te Hua Tuatahi a Kuwi, translated by Pania Papa (Illustrated Publishing 2015)
- Kuwi's Huhu Hunt (Illustrated Publishing 2015)
- Sleepy Koala (Tikitibu 2015)
- Sleepy Kiwi (Tikitibu 2015)
- Kuwi's Creative Colouring Book (Illustrated Publishing 2016)
- Kuwi's Very Shiny Bum (Illustrated Publishing 2016)
- Te Toro Huh a Kuwi (Illustrated Publishing 2017)
- Tāwhirimātea, written by June Pitman (Scholastic 2017)
- 2012 LIANZA Children's Book Awards, Te Kura Pounamu finalist for Ihenga
- 2013 Tānga - Print category for Ngā Tohu Reo Māori / Māori Language Awards for Hinemoa ko raua Tutanekai written by Aunty Bea
- 2016 Children's Choice Award, Picture Book FInalist New Zealand Book Awards for Children & Young Adults for Kuwi's Huhu Hunt
- 2016 Te Kura Pounamu Finalist New Zealand Book Awards for Children & Young Adults for Te Hua Tuatahi a Kuwi
- 2016 Children's Choice Award, Te reo Māori Award Finalist New Zealand Book Awards for Children & Young Adults for Te Hua Tuatahi a Kuwi
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.