Ruth Dallas (1919–2008) was born in Invercargill as Ruth Mumford. A poet and children’s writer, she developed a love of words and poetry in her childhood, and her works were published in the children’s pages of the Southland Daily News
. She wrote stories for the School Journal
, but wanted to write longer books set in New Zealand. Her ‘Bush’ novels were inspired by her mother’s stories about her childhood in Longbush, near Invercargill. She received an honorary doctorate from the University of Otago in 1978 and an OBE in 1989.
- The Children in the Bush illustrated by Peter Campbell (Methuen 1969).
- A Dog Called Wig illustrated by Edward Mortelmans (Methuen 1970).
- The Wild Boy in the Bush illustrated by Peter Campbell (Methuen 1971).
- The Big Flood in the Bush illustrated by Peter Campbell (Methuen 1972).
- The House on the Cliffs illustrated by Gavin Rowe (Methuen 1975; Magnet 1981).
- Shining Rivers illustrated by Gareth Floyd (Methuen 1979).
- Holiday Time in the Bush illustrated by Gary Hebley (Methuen 1983).
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.
Page checked and updated February 2013.