Born in Oxford, England in 1935, Margaret Beames came to New Zealand in 1974 and has been a teacher for over 30 years. Margaret lives near Feilding and is married with two children and six grandchildren. Her published work includes novels, picture books, short readers and stories in anthologies. The Parkhurst Boys was short-listed for the Story Book of the Year in 1987 and has been translated into Danish, while Archway Arrow, The Shearwater Bell (also published in German), and Outlanders were all finalists in the New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards.
Margaret coordinates the New Zealand branch of PEN International’s Writers in Prison scheme. She served on the Literature Assessment Committee for Creative New Zealand, 2003–2004. In 2005 Margaret was joint Writer in Residence at Dunedin College of Education with Shirley Corlett.
- Greenstone Summer (Reed 1977).
- Hidden Valley illustrated by Michael Dee (Mallinson Rendel 1983).
- The Plant That Grew and Grew… illustrated by Donna Hoyle (Ashton Scholastic 1984).
- Parkhurst Boys illustrated by Susan Opie (Mallinson Rendel 1986).
- Clown Magic illustrated by Susan Opie (Mallinson Rendel 1989).
- Glass Tower (Mallinson Rendel 1991).
- Girl in Blue illustrated by Brent Putze (Mallinson Rendel 1993).
- Archway Arrow (Scholastic 1996).
- Shearwater Bell (Scholastic 1997).
- Storm (Scholastic 1999).
- Oliver in the Garden illustrated by Sue Hitchcock (Scholastic 2000) (published in the USA as Night Cat by Orchard 2003).
- Outlanders (Scholastic 2000).
- Duster illustrated by Kelvin Hawley (Scholastic 2002).
- Oliver's Party illustrated by Sue Hitchcock (Scholastic 2003).
- Josef's Bear (Lothian Books 2004).
- Spirit of the Deep (Lothian Books 2006).
- The Mouse that Danced illustrated by Rachel Driscoll (Scholastic NZ 2007).
- Oliver Goes Exploring illustrated by Sue Hitchcock (Scholastic NZ 2008).
- The Singing Cave (Scholastic NZ 2009).
- Rabbit illustrated by Ian McNee (Scholastic NZ 2012).
- New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 1997 Junior Fiction Shortlist for Archway Arrow.
- New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 1998 Junior Fiction Shortlist for The Shearwater Bell.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2000 Junior Fiction List for Storm.
- White Ravens List 2001 for Oliver in the Garden.
- New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2001 Picture Book of the Year for Oliver in the Garden.
- New Zealand Post Children’s Book Awards 2001 Children’s Choice Winner for Oliver in the Garden.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2001 Picture Books List for Oliver in the Garden.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2001 Senior Fiction List for Outlanders.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2003 Junior Fiction List for Duster
- University of Otago College of Education Writer in Residence 2005.
- Storylines Notable Book Awards 2007 Young Adult Fiction List for Spirit of the Deep.
Storylines thanks zeald.com for their ongoing support of the Storylines website.
Page checked and updated February 2013.